To perform experimental aeroelastic and performance studies of rotor systems in hover, and to prepare rotorcraft models for entry into the Transonic Dynamics Tunnel (TDT).
Special / Unique Capabilities:
- One cage tailored for isolated rotor tests with elevated platform outside of ground effect.
- One cage tailored for use with tiltrotor systems including an elastic wing cantilever mount.
Equipment / Instrumentation
- Fully integrated flexible data acquisition system capable of sampling 64 channels at over 1000 Hz.
- Closed-circuit water system with chiller to cool electric drive motors.
- Integrated hydraulic system capable of 3000 PSI and high flow rates.
- High-intensity strobe lights for rotor blade tracking.
- Color camera system with pan, tilt, and zoom for rotor system observation.
- Black and white camera system with pan & tilt designed to aid in rotor track and balance operations.
- Designed for testing of Froude-scaled aeroelastic rotor models.
- Hover testing of model rotor systems with diameters up to 10 feet.